Contributors - Colleagues - Collaborators

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Sumtin' Purty.

I want a pretty interface! I want it to look beautiful no matter device or browser I am using. I want to click and have the video work instantly, the slide show to work, the picture to open.

What astounds me is how far we’ve come and yet how far we still have yet to go when it comes to being able to read, watch, and view content on mobile devices.

I know tablets are going to be huge this year, but you know what? I won’t carry it everywhere like I carry my smartphone. I like to get my content on the go – at the grocery store line, waiting for my tires to be rotated, and in the line for my latte. I want my it on my smartphone. If you want your content to be viewed or read, you’ve got to make it easy and pretty for the end-user who is using a small-screen device.

So, I found a RSS reader for Android that I love it's called, “Pulse.” It is the closest thing I have seen to the future. It has a beautiful interface and does a great job of reducing the content for the small screen. The problem is that some of the content providers still don’t get it. Yeah, I am talking about you Salon.com, Cracked.com, and Atlantic Monthly. Why doesn’t the slide show in Salon work in the mobile view? Why doesn’t Atlantic Monthly have an elegant mobile interface? I want to read Andrew Sullivan, not slog through everything, and why must you ignore the millions of Android users? Seriously. I end up reading the Huffington Post because they get it. iPhone app? Check. Android App? Check. Pretty good interface? Check.

What applications for reading, watching, and viewing content give you the best experience on a mobile device? What online magazine has wowed you? Do you have Sumtin' purty? Share!

Check out the pretty RSS Reader, Pulse: http://techcrunch.com/2010/07/26/pulse-android/

No comments: